View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #180
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

Tradition doesn't really matter here does it? It doesn't really matter has been traditionally accepted as far as money exchange goes. You're just arguing semantics here, especially when you get into "money for running the mud".

Either your mud accepts money, or it doesn't. Otherwise, we'll sit here arguing about HOW that money is accepted until the internet dies.

Yeah, the big difference is that you see exactly what you get for your money rather than a nebulous "Well, player X donated $200 and player Y donated $1, yet they both want their problems dealt with immediately.... Which one is the admin going to pick to deal with first?" I'm not saying that this is what YOU do specifically, but you can't seriously convince me that this wouldn't be a factor SOMEWHERE if there's an exchange of money.

Unless we want to keep arguing about what's REALLY free, the only way to be sure is to have [ ] Yes, we accept money or [ ] No, we accept no money.

Again, I will state that once players know that money can be exchanged, it's up to them to find out how. It's all semantics otherwise.

It's pretty obvious that "free" is not as clearly defined as people want to make it out to be, or we wouldn't be arguing it. As it is, we've already dumped the word "free". Thus, the best solution is simply to figure out whether or not the mud accepts money in any form because this is what players need to know.

Last edited by Milawe : 08-28-2007 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Left out a parapagh and fixed some typos
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote