View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
oisin

oisin is on a distinguished road
Re: LFM: Manual Combat req.

I think KaVir gave a very good answer there with lots of options and nice attention to detail.

I have played a few muds similiar to what you are looking for.

Akanbar was always my favourite because of the combat and because it is quaint and can be as simple or complex as you make it.

I also enjoyed Avalon but like yourself, was unwilling to pay to play a game. Whats the point when in my opinion Akanbar was just as good?

Lithmeria is a promising looking game but it has a long way to go before it gets good, which may not happen.

Role play in Akanbar is encouraged and used by the players but is much more simple than it is on a hardcore roleplay environment such as that found on Armageddon.

o Manual combat, both PvE and PvP. 'kill command and watch' diku-style combat is about as fun for me as watching paint dry, without the bonus of nice new paint.

- I couldn't agree with you more, I can't stand the diku-syle combat.

o Fluidity with regards to the path I can take with my character.

- Your imagination is the limit, though the city/realm you choose is kind of like a statement of whether your character wants to be good, bad or inbetween.

o Identity options

- Nothing like what you described with being known by different names wherever you go. But there is a skill in awareness that allows you to learn different disguises so you can disguise yourself as an NPC and walk around.

o Little or no 'chance' based mechanics.

- There's no chance based mechanics (unless you are at the Dice Den), your skills, speed and the skill with which you use your skills will be the main decider at most things.

o RPK or at least restricted player killing.

- Player killing is restricted. There are times when it is allowed such as defending your city or city towers from raids, or defending a farm if an enemy is trespassing on a citymates farm.

-There is a 'blood scroll' which you can seek out to sign your name on. Your name will be there for an in game year. People on the blood scroll are allowed attack other people who are on the blood scroll as much as they like. Its for players who like the thrill of a more dangerous and violent life.

-You can 'issue' a challenge to someone which they can accept to initiate a duel.

- There are also roleplay exceptions to the rule. For example if someone gave you a legitimate in role reason to attack them it would be permitted, but if you killed them and then attacked them again after or vice versa it would be against the rules.

Hope that helps. I haven't played as many of these type of games as Kavir so i just gave you info on the only one I know well.

I'll be happy to answer any further questions you ask, and good luck.
oisin is offline   Reply With Quote