View Single Post
Old 04-26-2003, 01:59 AM   #23
Serpentia

Serpentia is on a distinguished road
Hmm... I'm that kind of person that puts a little bit of myself in a character too, no matter what alignment people see them as or how others think those characters perceive the concept of laws. It's normally just a little thing or two, like a pet peeve or a favorite thing. I usually start with race/sex/class. I prefer to have a little history of how the character grew up and what all has happened to that character to mold it the way it is going to be once I am done and ready to role-play it. Some times I don't like the concept of labeling my characters good, evil, or neutral. I let the other people role-play their characters in interaction with mine and make their own decision on how they see mine. For example, I play a feral elf child that I have classed as a warrior, but she is more of a survivalist. Other people around her have different views of her. The mayor of the main city thought she was a horrible troublemaker and caused a lockdown of the city, just because she was chasing citizens and guards, trying to get them to play. Where as, another person thought she was an embodiment of innocence, having not been touched by any religious or political ideals or even civilization itself. On the other hand I play an 'evil' character that has had a rather tragic life and has been labeled evil by the people of the realm due to the way of life she has chosen. There are some very small points of 'light' in that character if anyone ever got to rping with me about it, then it would be more well known. I play so-called good characters too, but not as often. I get bored with them. Though I am currently playing a forest-runner ranger in a tabletop AD&D game that could be considered good. I would rather say she is kind-hearted and has a sense empathy with agreeable beings (translate as anyone not trying to kill her or her friends or that can be reasoned with not to).
Well, though as stated, this thread wasn't started as a good/evil/whatever thing and I seem to be going off on that tangent. Mainly because the words of others here have appealed to me concerning the concept.
I guess I could just say that my style is to start with the basis of taking a random aspect of me and then twisting it about into something new and different. Like I could start up a character and say... okay, he will be antisocial, but why? certainly not for the same reason -I- would be; or she will be very mischievous, but not in the same nature I myself would be. I don't like making a character too much like me... as said by many other people... I play as myself everyday in real life, so why should I do so in worlds full of mythological creatures, starships, and extra-planar dimensions? That is why I prefer not to play humans either. I mainly play as elves, but I've played as a duergar (subterranean dwarf), a pixie, and a race I custom made for a special game. I also plan to add more to that list sooner or later.
Serpentia is offline   Reply With Quote