Thread: Pretty Folks
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2002, 01:10 PM   #1
Sapphar

I tend to play characters who are not pretty.  Not ugly either, just plain.  A few distinguishing features, but usually they are described as the normal looking person who doesn't draw attention.  Then I draw attention through characterization.

This does not seem to be the norm on most games I have played.  Lots of folks go for beautiful women, rugged and handsome men, thin, sexy, in shape, busty, muscled, etc.  Pretty folks.  And if not outright pretty, very interesting and alluring and mysterious looking.  (Yes, I know, there plenty of you folks doing creepy monsters and the occassional other plain person as well)  Now, from a very OOC standpoint, I can understand why people prefer these characters.  The game is an opportuntity to live out a fantasy life, and why not do so as the best looking person you can.  But from an IC stand point, it is just plan odd.  In the games I play, it is an age of peasants and nobles, hard work, hot sun.  And yet everyone has lovely skin, is slender instead of sturdy, and keeps their hair long and flowing freely.  

To add to the oddness of it, there is often an expectation that everyone's characters are lovely.  No matter how simple and plain I make my descriptions sometimes, I still get folks calling my character beautiful.  Sometimes I wonder if they read the description or just are using their usual reponses because most folks are so darn pretty.

Does anyone else find this a little odd to be in the middle of?  And how do you have your character's react?  For me, I tend to make my characters either a) jealous, b) amazed at how lovely city folks are, c) oblivious to what is pretty and what is not.