View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
dentin

Home MUD: Alter Aeon
dentin is on a distinguished road
Re: Newest MUDs added

I'd also like to see something like this, and I recall posting something to this effect a year or so ago only to have it rather violently shot down (probably due to the technical details of the proposal.) I don't remember those details, but the basic idea was to rank games based on MSSP userload and average uptime.

- calculate a 30 day or 60 day userload and uptime using MSSP data polled hourly
- divide by four for any mud that has been around less than three months
- else divide by two for any mud that has been around less than six months
- derate the value further if there's meaningful downtime where MSSP data can't be collected

From this list, remove the top ten or twenty entries (these will be the 'popular' servers that don't need any help), and display the next 10-20 as 'up and coming muds' on the front page.

Reasons:

- a mud that can't attract any userload at all is probably not active enough to justify logging into. It only takes one dedicated admin actually being present and talking to players to get an audience of half a dozen, so a mud that can only manage a userload of 1 probably shouldn't be on the list, no matter who is working on it

- new muds should automatically be derated for their honeymoon period to avoid the list becoming a list of soon-to-be-defunct one-hit-wonders

- muds that have unreliable connections should be derated for obvious reasons

If there's issues with the same muds only ever being in the list, or if people want more variation, simply display every odd numbered entry, or perhaps every fourth or eighth entry. This would still keep the list ordered, but would give a lot more selection and variation of say the top 100, excluding the most popular at the top.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
dentin is offline   Reply With Quote