Thread: Advertising
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2003, 07:43 AM   #5
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Word of mouth is always the best form of advertising, so you might try asking your players to tell their friends. However, as has already been said, you shouldn't get your players to recruit new players from other muds (doing so - or even ignoring players who do such - will give your mud a bad reputation).

Another good approach is to submit articles and quality posts, both here and on other mud-related websites and discussion forums (as well as usenet). This will draw positive attention to you (assuming you follow the rules of netiquette), and encourage people to check out your work for themselves. I know that I've checked out a number of muds following thought-provoking posts by their creators, and I've also had people email me in the past expressing interest things I've posted about.

Other than that, I've heard that banners are quite successful. As well as placing them on mud-related websites such as TMS, you could also encourage your players to put banners on their homepages. You could also do what myself and some others have done, and create a TMS avatar - then suggest that any other staff or players adopt the same avatar while posting here.

There are also some muds who believe that any publicity is good publicity, but I would recommend against that train of thought, particularly considering the type of player your mud aims for.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote