View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #6
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
Re: What defines a "MUD" ?

There are two ways to looks at definitions, in my mind. One is to be technically correct, the other is to be practical and convey the appropriate information to the reader. For example, take the question, "Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?" or "Is a peanut a nut?" Technically, a tomato is a fruit, and a peanut is not a nut, it is a legume. But from a practical point of view, most people wouldn't care. A tomato is used mostly like a vegetable, and peanuts are eaten like nuts.

Is Pluto a planet?

When it comes to MUDs, I think a practical approach makes the most sense. When someone hears "MUD", I think the information that is most useful is a game that is text-based without constant graphics, and is played over a telnet connection using a game-independent client. Thus, I distinguish in my mind a difference between a MUD, and an MMORPG (which I usually shorten to MMOG, as most have so little RP in them to be laughable).

Where it might get fuzzy for me is if there are command-line oriented games out there that could be played this way, and don't have the usual "RPG"/adventure game setting. Wasn't there a space strategy game posted here a while back?

There are some similar distinctions in the MMOG market too. As I understand it, Planetside is really more of an MMOFPS than an MMORPG. And people argue whether Guild Wars is an MMOG, given its reliance on P2P instances. (FYI, I call it an MMOG, because from my understanding, your characters are persistent, even if the world is instanced. Thus, where the instance runs is a technical detail that matters little.)
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote