View Single Post
Old 09-25-2002, 07:14 PM   #57
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
<snip>

Yes there is, but that's just making it even more subjective. You're saying that in order to be "massively multiplayer", the game must also be "fun" and "playable"? Fun for who? Playable for who? If I find your game boring, does that mean that to me it's not "massively multiplayer"?

As far as I'm concerned, (almost) all muds are "massively multiplayer". They can (almost) all support a "massive" number of players, compared to most multiplayer games. Even online games such as Counterstrike and WarcraftIII can only handle a small number of players compared to most muds - and those, I believe, are what the MMORPGs were comparing themselves to in their claims of "massively multiplayer". They were trying to point out to their audience, many of whom had never even heard of "muds", that they supported far more players than most other multiplayer games.

GS3 is a mud. It has, to my knowledge, the largest online population of any text-based mud. It is also (as far as I can tell) the second longest-running mud around, if you count from the opening date of the original GS.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote