Thread: Power Gamers
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #19
chaosprime

Home MUD: Lost Souls
chaosprime will become famous soon enough
Re: Power Gamers

I have a mixed relationship with power gamers. They're useful because they bring to light the ways the system can be pushed to absurdity, and because I want to have a complex system with emergent behaviors rather than one where I've nailed down all of the five possible things you can do with it, I need them to do so. It's hard on them when a trail of nerfs follows them around, though, and their morale loss hurts the social atmosphere. They didn't spend all that time minmaxing their character so they could help me rebalance the game, they spent it because they wanted to be the ultra cool dude of super powerfulness forever.

Too bad about that.

I only pay attention to botting when poorly-written bots start making trouble. We used to forbid botting, but the trend over the years has been away from policies that require someone to play cop all the time. I have no use for playing cop and I have little use for assistance from the sort of personalities that playing cop appeals to. Now, I basically figure that if bots and tickers prosper, that's the fault of the game design, which needs to be reworked to reward people who actually play.
chaosprime is offline   Reply With Quote