Thread: RP writing
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Some games require a written background during an approval phase prior to your character's first appearance in the game.

For the games that don't, that I've played, I find it useful to have a general idea of who my character is before she shows up for the first time. This way, I don't have to try and remember "What was her dad's name again?" because it have it written in a notepad file somewhere.

Who were her parents? What kind of family life did she live? Is her family still alive, or dead? If alive, what do they do for a living, and if dead, was it some kind of traumatic death that would make an impact on my character?

Does she have siblings? Did she have a normal childhood or something unusual? What were her adult years like up until she shows up? What led her to the decision to "be" a warrior/sorcerer/insert skillset here?

Does she have any noticeable eccentricities or twitches? Why?

Usually providing just that much info is enough, and it can be written in a single paragraph. Example:

Jenny's mom Agatha was a whore who died from a spice overdose at the age of 27. Her dad was probably one of mom's customers. She has no idea. Her life was pretty typical of a southern Rinth-rat, and survival instincts led her to seek the shadows for safety. When she's nervous she bites her fingernails, which are usually torn and bloodied since she's nervous most of the time.

The end.

Simple but gives a general idea of why Jenny is the way she is, and the path she's currently walking. What she does at this point depends on the gameplay, but at least we know what led her to this moment.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote