View Single Post
Old 08-01-2003, 10:28 PM   #5
Rytorth

Rytorth is on a distinguished road
Well, facial expressions are always very nice - but what if your char's race doesn't have the ability to show them very easily? Or what if your char doesn't have a face per se?
What then?
Well, then you just look further afield for ways for your char to show what he or she is feeling at the moment. For example, one of the chars I play on OS is a Grimlahdi. What that means is that she's a 6' tall lizard-like being.
This makes it difficult for her to show much via facial expressions. However, she -does- have a tail, and a rill - both of which can be used. So, say she's feeling tense, angry and a bit scared too because of her current situation. I could pose something like this: <span style='color:red'>Rytorth hisses softly to herself, tongue flicking out to taste the air. She gazes at [Whatsisface], rill rising and stiffening slightly in an expression that others of her race and those familiar enough with it would probably recognize as anger and fear. Her tail starts to flick back and forth a little faster, whipping up dust from the ground. She snorts, "I do not think that would come about, to be honessst.."</span>

See? In that, I described that my character was feeling angry and scared, and maybe tense too - and all without telling stuff that other chars wouldn't know unless they were familiar with her race or forcing another char to read her thoughts or know what her organs were doing.
Rytorth is offline   Reply With Quote