View Single Post
Old 08-22-2003, 09:18 AM   #40
Grendal

Grendal is on a distinguished road
Interesting topic

I play in the world of Accursed Lands and we handle the levels in an IC text based way. Levels are still important in an RP mud because we also have crafting & fighting that works hand in hand with the RP.

skill wind instruments
You are roughly above average at wind instruments.

As I'm playing my flute, if someone should ask how good a flute player I am, I am more likely to say...."Do you like my music" ?

But I could also respond based on my skill level.
"I'm roughly above average compared to most people. There are a few new songs I would like to play, but my fingers can't quite find the notes."

We have 26 levels of skill to each skill.

1 know next to nothing about | 14 are getting very good at
2 know very little about | 15 are getting extremely good
3 know a slight amount about | 16 are skilled at
4 know a few things about | 17 are quite skilled at
5 know a decent bit about | 18 are extremely skilled at
6 are beginning to understand | 19 are excellent at
7 are below average at | 20 are wise in the ways of
8 are almost average at | 21 have begun to master
9 are mostly average at | 22 have partially mastered
10 are a bit above average at | 23 are close to mastering
11 are roughly above average at | 24 have mastered
12 are proficient at | 25 have perfected
13 are getting rather good at | 26 know everything about

Having the knowledge of levels lets you know what you are capable of and what you shouldn't attempt.

In crafting you can't start out by forging a great war axe. You will not have any success, because you "know next to nothing" about forging. The levels let you know what items you have a chance to make and as you succeed in making smaller items, your level in the skill increases and then you can attempt to make items that require more skill to create.

Do you want to RP forging a war axe or do you want to actually make one ?

I could emote that I am forging a great war axe, but at the end of the day, I still won't have one.

Those that put time into their character and into their skills can create items that others players might want to buy and this create commerce.

If you have money in the bank, do you want to know how much you have in your account or do you just want to RP it ?
Grendal is offline   Reply With Quote