View Single Post
Old 11-17-2002, 01:31 PM   #1
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
I know some of you have been around the Mud community as long or longer than I, and as someone who is coding their own Mud code from scratch, I thought I would throw out a scenario and see what you guys think.

I decided awhile ago that I wanted to code my own Mud.  My version of ROM has become spagetti code, and I am basically thinking about making a PayToPlay Mud and know that I can't use ROM due to its copyright rules.

I've been playing on the ROM codebase since 1992 (when it was just Russ' mud and not a base yet), and have been coding on/in it since they publicly released it (in 1993 or whenever that was).  I know the code very well, and like its design and ideas.  I even tend to think in ROMized C code.

I am coding from scratch, but have been so heavily influenced by ROM since I've been coding in it for almost 10 years.  I like the ROM feel of Mud's more than any other base and will probably keep a similar (but not exact) feel in my Mud.  I intuitively understand its' structures, design, and program flow and will probably end up coding something similar to it.

So my question is this:  Where does influence and inspiration end and derivative and copying begin?  If no code is being copied and pasted or being reused at all, are there any other dangers or possible copyright infringement?  I will not copy other people's work, but I don't want it to appear as if I am either!  It is like being "trained" by a company, and when moving on to your next job, you bring the habits and rules with you that you learned.

Sorry it's so long!  Any ideas you might have will help me and others in the future I am sure.

Lanthum
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote