View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
Jenred

Jenred is on a distinguished road
The good majority of online games have called 'the grind'. This is true in both MUDs and MMORPGs. Thats the period of time from creation to 'max' level, where most players grind through the available content to reach the end.

This is not everyone however, but I feel that the majority of players are this way. They want to reach the end and hone their characters through end-game content. In muds this is typically very hard areas, PvP, or other. In MMORPGs its the same, except there is usually more.

I'd be put off if after spending 3+ years with a character I had to start over. The world doesn't just 'end'. The goal of online gaming I think is to create a world that can evolve and persevere just like the real world.

I guess if the game had a very dependant and driving story-line, then yes it might be best to just end it, rather then constantly coming up with alterations to it.

You hit the head on:
So if someone does a good job of including the players in the story then they will care, and want to see it furthered.
Jenred is offline   Reply With Quote