View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
Tristan1992

Home MUD: GateWay
Home MUD: Rocky
Home MUD: MUME
Tristan1992 is on a distinguished road
Re: Quick login, then logout players.

Heh! I guess that trick works only on those newbies who don't actually ask questions or try to interact with the "players" they see in who. I idle a lot on GateWay which has few players these days and I've thought about this some. An idle player may at first glance appear to be populating the mud but some newbies actually gossip hello and get no response which rather counteracts the impression. Not that people idle on GW to fill it up, I do it out of convenience and to keep the CMOS battery on my 1991 386 SX charged. :-)

As to the original poster bemoaning the fact that it is a Catch 22 situation... yes it does take players to attract players sometimes. Mostly Socializers and PKers of course. Must have someone to talk to/victimize after all. <grin> Achievers too need someone to impress with their levels. Empty muds will appeal best to Explorers who will happily go around solo playing, testing, mapping. But they're rareish and getting rarer it seems. A result of the lower average education level of mudders now.
Tristan1992 is offline   Reply With Quote