Thread: Mud Addiction
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
Jeena

Jeena is on a distinguished road
MU* addiction is real. But the person in control at all times is the person who punches in character name and password.

My own son began mudding at the age of 14, an age I deemed old enough for the complexities of Internet experience, with supervision. He played the mud I played, and therefore I was also able to monitor many of his contacts. He was still able to maintain a healthy social and continues to do so, though now he is 19 years old and still mudding in his spare time. He has a full time job and goals, with mudding a pleasant diversion during those downtimes when he's kicking his feet back to relax.

No admin can tell when a player's personal life is being impacted by the game. No one person can tell when another has had too much mud and another just the right amount. All these things are relative to every player. So it is virtually impossible for an admin to track what is acceptable and what is not.
On the mud I play voluntary freezes of requested lengths can be asked for and are given out easily. Players ask for them often so they can get through finals, or some personal crisis. Getting unfrozen requires the appropriate level admin to be on to do so. So it's not something that is a snap decision. But it is one tool a player can use.

There are occasionally days when I refuse to do a bit of house work in favor of playing my mud. On those days I order pizza or go pick up McD's. I don't turn down going out with friends in favor of killing a dragon. I don't pass up watching tv or movies with my husband in order to run an equipment zone.

Can an admin tell when I've been on too long, when I'm neglecting my family, when playing is having an adverse affect on my personal life, I don't see anyway that is possible. In fact, for an admin to presume to know such things about players is most likely going to be seen as overstepping bounds.

In some addictions time for intervention can be clearly seen. A drunk in a bar, needs a taxi called for him. A gambler borrowing money, a junkie without a home. These are all obvious signs.

But such signs are not apparent when a player is playing a mud.
Even people who talk about their personal lives are frequently exaggerating or only telling part of a story.
Admins should make players aware that Mu* addiction is real and let them know what the signs may be. But they cannot be held responsible for the personal decisions players may make when they are logging in.
Jeena is offline   Reply With Quote