DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: Optional Realities: Greater RP-Focused MUD Community, and Design Blog

Exactly! I'm glad you enjoyed the first part of the article. I've just published the second part of the article, which has an abundance of specific examples, and shares the full design document for Redshift's armor system:

I think you're doing me a wee bit of a disservice. Not everything that Triple A Gaming companies do is bad, and I'm not a conspiracy theorist. After all, I play their games. However, it's hard to argue that their games are not designed to use grinding as a mechanism to get you to spend more money, at the cost of diluting the quality of their games with Power Creep. Some companies and games do this more than others, but it's an absolute industry standard.

Games like Guild Wars 2 and Everquest Next are moving further away from this model with Horizontal Design. The article's all about how our genre of game can apply similar concepts to our games, to improve the experience. Not everyone will agree with me (I should hope not!), but I've made the best case for introducing Horizontal Design that I am capable of.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote