View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 01:13 PM   #6
April

April is on a distinguished road
I would recommend trying out the Turning Point Mud (mud.tp.org:9999 ;
And heck, yes, if you wanted to come and try it out I’d be more than willing to help ya out and role play a bit, if not a lot. I started playing TP back in October and I have not once encountered a nasty or rude player or immortal (and I don’t think I’ve played an entirely sheltered character-life).
While TP doesn’t meet every criteria on your list of specifics, I believe it hits enough to warrant replying to you and putting it here. I’ll let you be the final judge of course -- the Mud’s website is a wonderful resource of information and has its own forums as well.

* Nice staff and players. Yes, a given.
* Role Play Intensive. Yes. Extreme? No. Especially when you’re a newer player, its realized that some ooc communication is going to be needed. As a newbie, you have access to a “newbie channel” which is ooc. As well, there is a channel “ooc” that can be used at any time during your playing experience, which is, obviously, meant for ooc matters and goes directly (and only) to the immortals. Character-to-character tells are also ooc. There are no ooc global channels.
* A detailed game world. Yep.
* A leveless and classless system. No. There are no actual levels in TP; players have no idea what their “typical” level would be: I.e. 2, 3, 10, 20, etc. However, there are level ranks which are based on experience gained through existing in the world and role playing and in certain, more rare cases, gaining actual experience through killing things. For example, a new character starts out with a rank of “Apprentice,” I believe, and through living in the world, experiencing new things and existing, can eventually reach the rank of “Master” or “Expert” (I’m not positive of the terminology, so don’t hold me to it). TP does have classes. You can read more about them on the website if you’d like; I wont bother getting all long winded about them now.
* Interesting backstory. Yes. There is also TONS of literature available to players about the world, both past and present. The game environment is EXTREMELY detailed and well-planned in an effort to give everyone a wholly in-depth experience.
* At least 10 or 15 players available to RP with. I’d say usually there are more. As with nearly any place and depending on the time of day you’re speaking of, there may sometimes be less.
* Building/owning you own home.  I am not completely sure about this one as I have never had opportunity to encounter it myself, but I’d say it’s probably very possible and something you could inquire about further if you’re really interested in it.
* A system to page players oocly. As I mentioned before, player tells are available and they are ooc. There is a quiet mode.
* A world that does not require fighting or killing to achieve a “successful” character. I’d say this is one of the best features to TP. “Mass murdering” is effectually un-allowed, and as well mindless killing to advance a character is not only reprimanded, it just does not work. You can be what you want to be, do what you want to do -- own a shop, raise a family, become a religious devout, publish works and be an author, become involved in a government, make a life as a sailor, work in an inn, clean the streets. Of course “success” is all relative to what you wish to achieve at any given place at any given time, but I would say that the characters I have encountered that have been the most successful, more plentiful (and the most interesting) have not been “fighters”.

Again, I’d check out the website if you’d like to learn more.
If you’re interested in logging on and would like to have a sure-fire person to role play with initially and with whom to get a feel of the game, feel free to email me at . I can also be reached on aim; kaydee618.
April is offline   Reply With Quote