View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 01:30 AM   #30
Mierza

Mierza is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mierza
We did have code done, including the game engine. We also had a server, etc. But when our coder left, he kinda didn't leave either the code or the documentation for it.

It is a big task, and I never expected it not to be. Pretty much everyone on my team has been working to the original design of our clients and codebase based on the decisions I made with my former coder. His suggestions and advice are where I got my 'demands' from, and was made to believe that they could be accomplished with time and a bit of hard work. I mean, there's no way I'd have thought of wanting our own game engine, I barely know what one does. I think the reasoning for it was something like "We own it's copywrite, we can use it for further games, and creating it will give us more experience." The reasoning for the two clients was like, "We own the copywrite and can use it for further games. Fixing bugs and helping players with technical support will be alot easier. We can support our features more." (Features being audio, video sequences for quests, etc.) -Before critisizing the 'high goals' please remember that when this project was started, these were realistic, and we did have someone who knew the code side of things over and under.

Because I can't ask him anymore about what is involved in all that stuff, I decided to ask here. That way I can employ proficient new coders to do the job. -I don't want to start the coding from scratch. But I also don't want to waste the work of my game designers and some of the artist's work, because of this disruptment either.

If some things are a bit far ahead then I'd appreciate advice on what things. That way I can re-evaluate. As I said earlier, I'm no real coder.. and that's exactly why I'm asking.

I also have no idea about the choice of the RUBY/LUA thing. Most of the reasons for doing things were supposed to be included in the documentation that was also supposed to be provided. But we didn't get that far, ah well. As a team leader, I don't want to just let it fall apart because a member had to leave. Even if we don't have the code anymore, we still have hours and hours worth of designs and art that I don't want to waste.

If you have a better idea of a more realistic coding approach, I'd be glad to discuss our designs more indepth. Hopefully I find a coder willing to help first though and run it by them instead, cuz it's quite involving.
Mierza is offline   Reply With Quote