Old 02-15-2010, 02:14 AM   #30
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

I'll have to agree with Synthesis. We use a Badge award system for roleplay of specific archtypes of characters on Atonement that is meant to dissuade people from playing the same personality types again and again. We make it clear, as staff, that we want them to try new and challenging character concepts. If I were to see a player character die, and then catch an application by that player with a similar concept, I would almost positively gently decline and encourage them to stretch themselves.

Now, granted, we've only been open five weeks: do you know how many times that I've had to do that? None. On Shadows of Isildur, where I worked for some time, I maybe did it a handful of times or less. Most players, in my experience, want to try to play different characters, especially when encouraged to do so. I don't think that this has anything to do with permanent death; you can encourage players to play different characters on a roleplay-focused game whether or not there is permanent death.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote