Old 01-20-2006, 07:47 PM   #198
DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Some of the most well-known and respected PvP designers in the community are arguing for this change - Achaea is widely only accepted as the most superior PvP MUD by itself. And as KaVir said, their basic principles of the IRE combat system have been floating around for many, many years before they were born - they just got an improved paint job and some respackling. However, it is impossible to tell how good their combat system truly is, or is not, because it allows for players to transcend the regular realm of "leveling" with a credit system in which credits are 99% of the time bought with money. The remaining 1% or less gifted/prize credits are simply not enough to sustain all of the players who do not have the money to buy credits. (traded credits don't count, they were still boughtT with money - particularly lazy players merely sell credits to obtain things in which even IRE won't directly sell them. So traded credits are paid for by very experienced players, who have been around for a while(and likely, have even bought some credits themselves here and there).

For these reasons, many "expert" PvPers do not like IRE's system. I've played multiple IRE games for multiple months at a time, and just realized that it wasn't worth my time, no matter how good of a PvPer I might be. Again, this is all opinion, but it is the reason why many non-IRE players think poorly on the company... it advertises itself as the best PvP MUD around(it isn't, not by far, trust me) - and then requires massive amounts of credits to become as powerful as you can be(or even should be).

P.S. Valg, that idea sounds good also. Many good ideas have been posted, but the other side of this debate never seems to respond to them - they respond instead, only to the argument about the MUDs themselves - and if they talk about the TMS site at all, they ignore the better made suggestions of players.

It's transparent, guys - it's very transparent. I'm involved in a "n/y/y/n" commercial MUD project at the moment myself, and I'd have no issues letting be listed as such on a MUD listing site, such as TMS. As a matter of fact, once we are in beta and on the listserves, I'll put it in our "bios" whether or not this progressive improvement suggestion thing goes through with Synozeer.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote