View Single Post
Old 04-14-2003, 07:45 PM   #4
Mahakali

Mahakali is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mahakali
I have some suggestions to add when hiring a builder who is going to build a zone for you.

Have them map their zone as they go along to make sure rooms do not over lap (which is most important). You can map on paper, also in wordpad there are neat little boxes which you can connect to make a map of your zone. Also, when editing the zone (I'm not sure if you edit zones before they go in) have them show you their map and maybe get an unbiased mort to run the zone through a couple of times for you (you should do the same). This should help with making sure the rooms are attached correctly.

Also, there is the point of making mazes. Mazes are rather difficult to make.. Make sure that the builder has mapped the way through.

Builders should make mistakes and you should only let those who you trust build zones for your mud. What they do reflects on everyone -- I would much rather stroll through a well-described, tricky and not too confusing zone then something that looks like it came out of stock and someone was only concerned with getting to a number of rooms and not treating their zone like their own personal artwork.

Builders should experiement.. while being watched, if they are messing with code or triggers without much prior knowledge nor proof that they can handle it, well... they should work one on one with someone before being let loose.

Coders seem to be seperate from the writers -- it is rare to find one who shows skill in writing descriptions and building zones while still coding and being a master with script.

Also, we have a balancer who makes sure that there are no over-buffed monsters with amazing pieces of eq which will make one race/class way better then the rest... I think this should be watched closely, things should be kept fair... builders should be expected to avoid unbalancing the game, but mistakes do happen.

Mahakali
Mahakali is offline   Reply With Quote