View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
drakkos

Home MUD: Epitaph
drakkos is on a distinguished road
Re: Resurrecting Imaginary Realities

Those are all very reasonable questions, but a fair way down from the point where I am at the moment (which is, 'let's see if there's an interest in it'). At the moment, all I really have is a long-standing desire (of several years), and time I am willing to put into getting the thing up and running again. I know one of the big reasons it stopped the last time was a lack of contributions, so ensuring that there is at least enough of a flow of articles to get over the first short while of operations is I think the most important thing.

Sustainability of a resource like this is obviously key, and a single point of failure (myself) isn't a great indicator for that. But, we live in more collaborative times now and there are technologies and techniques out there that can help manage that. I'm certainly not precious about control in that sense, but I do also think that there needs to be someone who pushes the thing hard enough to get it rolling or it'll never actually start. If people are interested in taking a more active role than submitting articles (editing, etc), then I'd definitely be very keen on making it a wider community effort than just l'il ol' me.

For licensing, I have no strong opinions other than it should be as free as possible while still maintaining the rights of the author and whoever happens to be editing it. But it's intended to be a communal resource, so some measure of community consensus would be important as far as that goes.

So, that's a bit rambly (because your questions are a bit ahead of me), but to summarise:

* I'd be perfectly willing to share editorial control to ensure that there isn't a single point of failure.
* I'd like to see the use of a licence that maintains authorial ownership while also granting this New Imaginary Realities the right to modify, adapt and distribute as is necessary.

There's a lot of groundwork needed to be done to actually move from 'expressions of interest' to 'an actual thing that is actually a thing', but the responses thus far have been encouraging as to whether it's worth putting in that work.

Regards,
Drakkos.
drakkos is offline   Reply With Quote