View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 AM   #12
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: Orson Scott Card obliterates J.K. Rowling

A single one of the Harry Potter books (take your pick) has sold far more than every book Card has ever published, I'd be willing to bet. (The Harry Potter series has sold upwards of 375 million copies.) There's a reason that Rowling is the only billionaire author in history, after all. Card has not, with all due respect to him, gone beyond the very successful niche author. There's literally a world of difference between the number of fans/books sold that Rowling has and Card has.

(None of this has anything to do with whether Card's books are better...I like his books, though haven't read the Harry Potter books as they're unlikely to be my thing.)

The reason he has no credibility on this issue is largely because he's a total homophobe and is just grinding his anti-gay axe.

For instance, Card has said,

"Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society. "

--matt

Last edited by the_logos : 05-08-2008 at 01:47 AM.
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote