View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #34
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: What turns people from RP?

I created 3 characters on Armageddon.. spent hours fleshing them out, back history, motivations, studying the history files and then getting completely lost in the game with no assistance, noone to ask for help except for a bunch of help files. No character lasted much beyond the first hour of safety. One died in a sandstorm when I accidently went out the city gate, one was just killed outright in the street with no RP or warning, and the other was my own fault, I got arrested for stealing (I think) and got killed.

Details are vague but its been a while so I cant remember specifics beyond avague memories.

I never went back, basically far too much OOC effort for zero IC reward or satisfaction. BUT I have to stress this is just my opinion, I was impressed by the setting and the writing.

I am a great fan of RP, but what can turn me from RP is when there is no outlet out of the RP. I will not play an RP game with no OOC channel (but on the same vein, the channel MUST be tunable for the times I want to be immersed).

I will not play an RP game without an advice channel to ease me into the game mechanics.

However to answer the thread, what turns me off the most however is an RP game is the sterotypes that people use. I cheer whenever I meet a woman character who was not previously a slave, or abused as a child, a rogue who was not a poor orphan urchin on the street who turned to crime. Some of the best RP I have ever met in a character was one without a history of angst and pain. I think there have been websites and threads devoted to this phenominum (how DO you spell that!) which is quite commonplace.

I also loathe games that have settings which specifically give an opportunity for one person to have complete and utter control and domination over another in a slave / master type setting. Yes, this could theoretically lead to a good 'slave becoming a hero' type RP such as spartacus or Gladiator. People who are new to MUD's and fancy this type of character may be caught out as sadly games that have this harsh type of play are normally just breeding ground for MUDsex, rape and murder, and normally with a disclaimer 'Players have no right to complain'. I think this is irresponsible regardless of any warning or disclaimers that may be given.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote