View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #36
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: What turns people from RP?

Have to say.. One thing Second Life did was create a really odd situation for RP. There are several combat systems people made, so not every sim is compatible with every character, due to the systems not being compatible. That said, as long as you adjust weapons/theme a bit, to fit the setting, you can move from just about any group of sims that use a specific one to any other. In the DCS system, there is everything from fully user made ideas, to sims dedicated to Naruto, or Bleach. In CCS, there is everything from modern, to ancient, to mixed, to pure combat sims, with arenas, to futuristic, etc. Very few are massive systems, like City of Lost Angels, but... The local rules prevail, which means, if it says RP, you follow the RP rules (which do to how easy it is to teleport, sadly means no inter-sim communications that involve combat situations, though OOC or IC that isn't involve with that is acceptable. Mind, you can't call them, in CoLA rules, even if *in* the same sim, you have to escape the battle, then find them physically... Kind of annoying...). Sad, since a few factions had systems that could run their personal, on-character, com systems through that.

But, this rules may differ in other sims/chains. Sadly, you get the equivalent of the morons around the fountain too. For a while, before, "Don't stand there and do nothing" functions where put into the CCS meters, so you had to be more or less active, you got "gesturbators". People that would use animations/sounds, often the ones all characters get when connecting to SL, to gesture at each other, rather than do anything else. Dropped in to a sim with an arena at one point, while wandering around to see what sims where out there, and had the jarring experience of seeing several people standing around, with wierd sounds coming from them, while apparently none of them where actually doing a damn thing. lol

But, yeah, to be specific on the most recent posts here, there are *strict* rules, in CoLA at least, on how to deal with all the sex and violence that takes place in the dark RP setting. But, this is sex-lite, in many respects. If you want that sort of rediculous stuff, find a Gorian meter, and a Gorian sim. They specialize in that nonsense. lol

One thing you are not likely to *ever* find in a mud, is something like SL, where literally entire cities can be themed, placed in time, or even running different races/classes/etc. Makes for a wierd place.. Especially when you go some place to shop for something like a new animation set, for say, limping, or something, and find yourself confronted with a squad from the SGC, over done Goth people, furries, possibly storm troopers, and who knows what else. Its like being at a damn Comic Con. The difference being, everyone leaves the store, to head over to the nearest "actual" world in which that makes sense to wear. lol

In any case, we end up with people that RP well, people that RP badly, people that can't keep their OOC out of the IC, people babbling things they shouldn't on the wrong channels (though, if someone logged the conversation, and someone usually is, since some RP can be turned in for additional XP, using that info **will** be dealt with), and of course, the people that get swatted out of the sim, or even possibly the system entirely (character ID banned from using the meter), which stand around gesturbating, instead of making a real attempt to RP. Like the environment though. If you want to talk to people about stuff non-related, you turn off the meter, so you are not "ticking", and you don't get into trouble, and you can do that over channels, so you don't have to dump text into the local chat. Solves two problems that way. Muds/MUSHes, etc... would probably nail you for just standing there anyway, or chatting on OOC, even if they didn't "tick" and add XP over time, for being online, while not letting you turn that off, if not "active".

I avoided RP muds like the plague, precisely because I didn't want some ass *demanding* that I participate, even if I didn't feel like it at that moment. Too much effort, no real gain, no real way, beyond making up your own history and story, to customize "anything" about yourself, or the world, etc. I like, now, being able to dress the part, build things that fit what I am doing at the moment, making *tangible*, if temporary, changes to the world, etc. I want to be able to spray paint a glowing faction symbol on a poster someone else put up, which annoyed me, and have people "know" it was done, not just the three people that saw me do it, who then have to mention this to everyone else, otherwise no one has a clue anyone painted anything over the poster. There are major limitations to trying to RP in any environment that can't allow that. And... MUDs, most MUSHes, MMOs, etc. all *fail* at this. No mud is ever going to let me build a weapon satallite, for future use in RP, or code an AI to place in the new Syn Science Division labs, which where *built*, not by some system admin, but someone renting land in a CCS sim, because that just happens to be what they *wanted* to have there. And, I don't have to be "always on", or like a shakespearian playwrite (never mind even vaguely good all the time). But, I still tend to be out of the loop a lot, as someone else mentioned as a problem upthread. Main reason I never did well in the main city. Too much **** going on, not enough time to figure out what the heck it actually was. lol (That, and the last faction I was in always seemed to have a strange ability to schedule meeting at the time and day I was not on, no matter what time, or day that actually was...)
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote