View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: LFM: not-so-stressful RPI

Every game out there has its own physics and reality to an extent. If a giant rat is a credible threat to a newly trained swordsman, and eating a medium rare ribeye takes 2 seconds and heals injury, you have to roll with that reality a little bit, because fireballs getting thrown from fingertips also exist and there's not a lot of realism or science regarding how that happens, and dragons exist with no explanation how the restrictive ecosystem and evolution let that one slip past. People don't boycott muds because they entered an area, nearly got killed by 15 wolves, only came across 5 deer, and declared that they can't possibly play in such an unrealistic world where the ecosystem is so messed up yet new wolves keep getting spawned when the system repops the area. Just eat the meat and let that questionable game mechanic slide.

Little things aside, I've played a lot of characters in both of those muds, and lots of others, and across the board, in every single mud I've ever tried, my experience varied based on one key factor: who I ran into and whether they took the time to interact with me in a meaningful fashion. I've had the most fun playing the least special, most nondescript characters that I never intended to become anything special or play for very long because I got sucked into something, and I've made characters with huge plans I thought I would play for years and given up in a couple of days. When you played, you got shafted. Nobody took the time with you, and you didn't have fun. That probably happens a good 50-60 percent of the time, and it's tough to really get past a bad start.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote