View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #166
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: In defense of all MUDs. Our genre's noteworthiness is being questioned.

How could you know if anything is true at all? In the end you can only have a certain belief that something is valid but you can rarely be certain. For example I assume most posters here are different persons, but everyone here could very well be "roleplayed" by some mysterious individual. If that would be the case I would have been fooled.

Sometimes when looking at old documents or even posts I have written, I am like "Have I written this?" though I assume noone has edited it as long as the text is not too far from my beliefs and way of writing.

It is really the same problem here, I think. Say Threshold was shutdown. What proof is there that it has ever existed? Absolutely none, and I think references are only valid as long as you trust the references.

The question then is if you can trust references at all. For example are news articles in newspapers always correct or are perhaps part of their content made up? Even if something is written and is factual true, it might be written in such a way to make you yet interpret it in a different manner by for example only pushing certain aspects of the facts while hiding others.

Last edited by Aeran : 01-11-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote