View Single Post
Old 05-20-2002, 10:18 AM   #10
hoop

hoop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Well, since this was already a post about the avatars, I thought I would make a comment here.

Regarding the avatars, or the pictures under the "login names" to the left of the posts - in general :

Any reason why these were added in?  I can see the benefit, I mean, you get to have a small image to help "identify" your character to the rest of the forum.

But I can also see the detriments.  Every time a page loads, your browser and ISP has to load in some 20+ extra images?

On top of that, the images aren't cropped in SIZE - by that I mean IMAGE size in KB.  They are cropped in width / length, yes.  

But can't there be some kind parameter, similar to using an AOL Instant Messenger Buddy Icon, where the image has to be less than, say 7000 bytes or something?  More than HALF of the images that I click on, and view the REAL image are HUGE files that are something like 400x500 pixels wide, and may be 100s of kilobytes in size.

Just thinking from someone who is using a 56k dial up modem (which, thankfully, I am not) - but  it would really hinder them loading pages, no?

I did search for anything on this topic, and didn't find anyting, so please forgive me if I posted here incorrectly.

thanks,
Hoop
hoop is offline   Reply With Quote