View Single Post
Old 02-15-2006, 12:54 AM   #29
Drealoth

Drealoth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Drealoth
The problem here is that every MUD involving money has their own degree of requiredness.

Aardwolf gives donating players a special amulet with some minor stat boosts, although this is more in recognition than the player 'buying' the amulet. For most people, the donation is done to donate, not for this amulet. Is that pay to play?

With IRE paying money is optional, but without it it would be incredibly difficult for one to become successful in PvP combat (although one can still have a great time in the game without paying a cent).

Threshold charges $50 to play, and then you can play forever.

MUD2 costs about $10/month to play.

The list goes on. Every MUD would require their own category.

If anything was to be changed I think that there should simply be a button that is '100% Free' for MUDs to click if real money has absolutely no effect on the game, and another which is 'Recurring fee to play' for muds such as MUD2 where you have to pay per month/hour/week/whatever. Everything inbetween could leave it blank and as such, nothing would show up in that field (such as if you don't check the 'support ansi box' it doesn't say 'Doesn't support ansi' ). Even in this case though, there would be problems - I know that if someone offered me 10000 yen for a cool item in my game I'd definitely consider taking the offer, even if before I'd never offered anything for players.
Drealoth is offline   Reply With Quote