View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 06:16 PM   #126
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Strange, because earlier in the thread the_logo clearly stated "...we're just very reluctant to mess with the structures players have created and empowered. They're important parts of the world and it's hard to know how radical changes to their level of power will cascade down to the rest of the world". So which is it? Do the staff interfere with the player structures, or not?

To which...

So it is true that another player could permanently strip me of something I've paid real-life money for, simply on an IC whim?

I've been roleplaying for 17 years, and was running an RP mud long before Achaea went online; I'm well aware of the differences between IC and OOC, and the consequences associated with them. Yet I still find OOC consequences for IC actions to be a poor solution in (almost) all situations, and when those OOC consequences affect real-life money, and can be applied by other players simply on a whim, I cannot help but shake my head in amazement.

It's not this specific example I'm talking about - I really couldn't care less about some whiner being banned. It's the policy in general, and the vast amount of potential abuse it opens up by placing so much real-world power in the hands of the players.

Or to put it in more simple terms: Allowing guild members to kick out players they don't like sounds perfectly reasonable, but why let them strip those players of paid-for assets? Why not refund them the credits back, or reassign them to something else, or allow the players to convert them over to the next guild they join?
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote