View Single Post
Old 05-01-2008, 11:08 PM   #126
Disillusionist

Disillusionist will become famous soon enough
Re: How many muds have permadeath?

If any of my posts implied that I thought less immersion was probable with one feature set or another, that was not my intent. And I -never- discount investment of players in what they love, regardless of feature set. I can make a case for either 'camp', which says they're pretty much equal, and therefore a feature set is pretty much a smokescreen non sequitor on the quality of RP.

I did respond to the less-than-subtle implication of some posts that a certain feature set promoted better RP. The way I see it, a great actor is great, whether onstage, on camera, or sitting at the computer, doing 90% of the RP work. Since there are many schools of acting, and many actors, the sets, lighting, director and other cast members (and all the other little extras) are beneficial to some actors, detrimental to others. This includes feature sets, in an RP medium.

I've found some MUD environments to be very conducive to one of my styles of RP or another, but probably more than anything else that can ruin immersion, enjoyment, cameraderie, artistic appreciation and just plain fun is almost always jerkweed player attitudes.
NOTE: Jerkweed attitudes of players cannot be moderated much by feature sets. You can modify access, you can modify -some- behaviors, but you really cannot moderate attitude.

I don't see less experienced roleplayers as a blight on any game. I see them as an opportunity, mainly, to lead by example. I don't see middling-level roleplayers (whatever that means) as a basis for contrast to the superiority of my roleplay. I don't -always- see superior roleplayers as beacons in the night to follow, usually because many of the longest-running RPers fall into the trap of RP elitism, and spend more time criticising or belittling the RP of others, rather than simply playing, and helping, living and letting live.

I've seen such great results from spending the time nudging less experienced roleplayers along, giving tips, asking questions, and being available that I can't imagine one benefit of touting superior roleplay in a condescending manner, other than to drive players off, or stroke an insecure ego.

Having said that, I know there are great roleplayers in almost every feature set, and jerkweeds, likewise.
Disillusionist is offline   Reply With Quote