View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #80
DurNominator

Home MUD: Carrion Fields
DurNominator is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets Talk about Voting - Shall we?

This seems like it describes the so-called "graveyard shift" numbers of online players, during which the number of players online drops drastically. During graveyard shift, Americans are sleeping in their night and Europeans are at work. Clearly, by logging in to Carrion Fields (CF) and checking some statistics you can see that the statistics presented by KaVir are clearly too low to realistically describe the situation in CF.

I'll toss in some statistics taken directly from the game (these are freely available for any player/character by logging in to CF and typing commands 'users', 'users playerbase' and 'users logon'). Here are the statistics I got:

Users yields minimum of about 15 players and maximum of about 45 players for last 24 hours and claiming average of 30 players online.

Users playerbase claims that the number of active characters in CF is about 1000 (statistics over 52 weeks were graphically presented). The game automatically deletes any character that hasn't logged in in a month.

Users logon yields following information:

Total Logons 216 characters
Average Logon Length 53 minutes
Median Logon Length 42 minutes
Carrion Fields started up at Sat Nov 7 03:35:05 2009 (CST)
System time is Sat Nov 7 12:56:38 2009 (CST)

This totals 11448 minutes online for all characters during the uptime (since last crash/reboot) of 561,53 minutes, yielding an average of 20,38 players online all the time (the game peak hours are not included in this calculation). The MUD peak hours are not included in this number due to the small amount of presented data. AFK players are automatically kicked from the server so you can assume everyone in CF to be active in the game when they are online.

There was 26 players visible to me online when I checked and my friend claimed that there was 36 players online some time later. The game boasts with 80+ players online (see Grobbak's ad here at TMS) during the peak times. Personally, I don't play the peak times and thus have seen a peak of this magnitude only twice or so during the five years I've been around (I haven't played very actively for last two years). Personally, I would say that seeing 10-60 players online isn't too uncommon, depending on when you play.

Furthermore, I counted the number of user accounts in CF's fansite forum in (an unofficial site not maintained by the game staff). The number of accounts that had checked the forums that day was about 130, with about 280 or so accounts checking the forums within that month. has a voting reminder that periodically asks users to vote, counting from the last time the user clicked the vote link there. Due to this reminder, many of CF's votes to TMS come from that site (part of the votes come via the game's Official website, which doesn't remind people to vote beyond having the button on the site). Personally, I have never felt any pressure or obligation to vote for CF due to the actions of the game staff nor have I seen any active endorsement of cheating in CF-related forums.

Thus, I think that Anjanas's claim of CF cheating with its votes is false. In addition, I would like to ask Anjanas to refrain from making accusations based on guesswork against others without knowing the facts or having any actual evidence in the future. Please, report any game you think is cheating for some reason to Lasher, but refrain from public accusations and leave it to people with the tools to do so dig up the truth.
DurNominator is offline   Reply With Quote