View Single Post
Old 07-13-2002, 06:14 PM   #7
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
The question is not can the database handle it, but are the programmers knowledgeable enough to make it work efficiently.

If they are citing database limitations as a reason to not do it, I doubt the answer is "yes". Databases are, by their very nature, unlimiting. The limiting factors are the ability to efficiently sift through the wide array of data they present.

In a large-scale system such as yours, I would suggest a two-tiered system, along with the bells and whistles mentioned in the in-depth responses, such as ability to forget, limitations based upon intelligence, etc. Keep all known persons in one system (structure, array, binary heap, or whatever is used). Second, maintain a second listing which is referenced first, and tracks the most recently used name(s), up to a degree of N.

There are umpteen schools of thoughts on efficiency, but only one true final exam: if it lags the game, then there's a better way to do it.

Dynamically creating the short description of the person based upon a known control (the viewer) would be much faster in comparison to indexing a list of known individuals and replacing the short desc with their name. "An elf much taller than you, a very short elf, three dragons, two turtles, and a partridge resting on the limb of a pear tree are all here." is, while logistically a nightmare tangle of code, relatively simple cost-wise compared to "Joe the High Elf, Uther the Short (an Elf), Ember the Red Dragon, Crytos (a Dragon), a very large Green Dragon, two turtles, and a bird are here."

KaVir's treatise on dynamically built descriptions was more in line with creating what you see when you look AT a person, rather than returning what is seen in a room. Quzah wrote a method of dealing with this as well. I do not believe either of them dealt with handling a dynamically-built short description, although it could be extrapolated from their work. (I may be wrong, I havent looked at Quzah's Interactive Descriptions or KaVir's method in a few years).

But, to summarize: In answer to the question "Can a database handle large-scale numbers": a resounding YES. Databases were created for that very reason. Note that a database is very different from a data structure.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote