Thread: The NPC Cast
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2005, 02:19 AM   #5
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
In the game I've developing, I'm hoping to make family relationships far more common than seen on most MUDs. I simply got tired of seeing orphan characters all the time. So, I decided that encouraging PCs to create more detailed character backgrounds, including family members, would be a goal of mine. To do this, one has to offer incentives and NPC family members would be one such incentive.

I've got several ideas for doing this, but there are pitfalls. First, one has to be certaint that the PCs won't abuse NPC relatives (ie, order them to attack others or act out of character as bodyguards or something). Additionally, one has to be sure that the background for the NPCs is just as complete as that for the PCs (and that is sometimes hard enough). Furthermore, PCs can't create disposable characters or disposable NPCs (ie, parents on their deathbed or relatives who are in extremely risky occupations). Additionally, one has to give these NPCs a setting that allows them to function within the society (ie, if they've got NPC family members, they need homes too).

All this creates a lot more work and management to oversee. It'll also involve careful planning and instruction to be sure that the concept is understood and not abused (and if abused, what the penalties will be). Fortunately (or unfortunately depending upon perspective), I'm still early in the process.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote