View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: Games as service

I believe the mechanics are very important. From what I have read, it seems that releasing a mmrpg too early with broken mechanics can ruin the entire project. If you read the review of Dark and Light over at you'll see that what looks like a quite nice game from the graphics get a low rating. A quote I find interesting in that review is, "The game in its current state is broken, full of bugs and does not have half of what was promised."[Mortensen]. My guess is that they released the game too early. Perhaps they had no choice. Could the game have gotten a better rating if they had fixed the bugs before releasing it?

This is also backed up by Jeff Strain, one of the co-founders of ArenaNet who are the makers of Guild Wars, in the article located at . The relevant quote is "I can assure you that releasing an MMO into the market before the development team is proud of it will result in writing off every penny invested in its development."[Strain]

It might be possible that in cases like AC2, people would become hesitant to buy future MMRPGs made by that company.

Last edited by Aeran : 12-12-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote