Thread: Graphic Maps
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 05:31 PM   #14
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Simple; Your char would have bought the maps in a map store. People have been making maps since the beginning of history, more or less accurate, and usually those maps are meant to be used by someone else but the person that made the map.

Our mud isn't strictly RP, but we do have map stores, and the maps sold there are ansii versions of the ones shown on the webpage. The latter just have a bit more colour and cosmetics. I don't really see how that culd be defined as cheating? Sure, the idea presented by someone about only being able to look on the maps on the website, if you actually purchased the same map in the mud is neat, we might try to implement that.

As for the wilderness code, we have it too, and those online maps are neat, especially the feature where your view is blocked by trees in a forest or by mountains, unless you are on the top. But even in the real world, which is a lot bigger than any mud, there would be maps of the more interesting parts. I don't really follow your line of reasoning there either. It seems obvious to me that the more civilized parts, like cities and their surroundings, might be mapped, whereas the most remote part of a jungle or desert might not. So, even though the main part of the wilderness grid would not be available as map in a shop, the cities definitely should be.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote