View Single Post
Old 05-15-2002, 05:09 PM   #14
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Brody, I think you make a very good point in encouraging people to buy an ad. I have been an advertiser here for going on 2 years, and it has been very worthwhile.

A smaller mud could simply advertise for a month or two to get a nice influx of users. Then spend a few months adjusting to the burst. Furthermore, their advertisement contributes to the long term health and existence of this site which is a very good thing. In my mudding experience, this is the best MUD community site I have ever seen, and it has maintained that level of quality far longer than any of the other sites in the past. Synozeer does a great job, and advertising will allow him to continue to run the place.

As for small muds needing publicity:

This is an issue every single mud has dealt with since the beginning of time. Keep in mind that every "large mud" was at one point nothing but 1 person logged in coding away. Every mud had to slowly get the word out and try to give people an enjoyable experience so they would tell their friends.

If a game is interesting enough its playerbase will eventually grow. Further, it will grow organically which means it can manage its growth through creation of enough areas, events, etc. to accomodate its userbase.

Topmudsites generates a lot of traffic largely because of the presence and support of large muds with a lot of users. To artificially direct that traffic to a small mud (imho) would not only be unfair, but would also not very helpful in the long run to the small muds that got the traffic.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote