View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Baram

Home MUD: Tears of Polaris
Baram is on a distinguished road
Re: How not to be still-born

Grumble, I had this nice long reply typed out... and then X froze on me right before I hit post...

The gist of what I was going to say is that I know how you feel, I've been working on a project "in secret" without forums or anything for about a year. It's hard, but the best way I've found to keep motivated is to try and keep your teammates motivated. For me, having others around, even if they aren't too productive, is helpful as I enjoy seeing others using what I spent so long working on. Forums can be a great help, we should open ours soon, for yourself and others to stay motivated. Don't under estimate the power of a "Oh cool" reply to a feature you posted about.

And the main thing, don't do all the "fun" stuff first. When you're motivated knock out that boring mail system(or whatever projects you need to do that you really aren't interested in) and save those fun projects for the days you just can't seem to get motivated. Set realistic goals for each day you work and stick to it. I know that I live for that feeling of having completed something, second only to the joy of seeing others enjoying my work, and the best way to keep that feeling is to always complete something each day, even if it's just a small piece of a larger project.

Good luck, and keep us all updated on how things go... I'm sure you'll get plenty of encouragement from others here.
Baram is offline   Reply With Quote