View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
Ammit

Ammit is on a distinguished road
Re: How not to be still-born

I'm working on a new version of Armageddon, and it can be hard to find the motivation to logon regularly to build it. Some things I've found that help are:
* Build with a team you trust. Now this can be hard most of the time, but it has been a big boon being able to work with people I've worked with before.
* Regularly provide updates for each other. This can help get you excited as you see what other great stuff people are working on. Working in a vacuum doesn't give you diminishing rewards, however seeing what other people are doing is a reward itself as it doesn't seem as daunting.
* Regularly provide updates to players. Its discouraging when the players don't like what you do, but well worth it for the times they do like what you do. Also if the players don't like something, then its worth considering changing it. It might be a bad idea to change it, but its worth considering.
* If you need a break, take it. But tell people you'll be dissapearing and for how long. Then when the time is up if you need more of a break, force yourself to logon and say you're going for more of a break. Having to justify it each time makes it easier to just start building again.
* If one particular area is bringing you down, set it aside and work on another area.

That's my experience anyway.

A way some writers solve the problem of motivation is quite simple: Set aside 2 hours of your day that can be done at the same time every day. Then sit down and do nothing but code/build for those 2 hours for your mud. Either you'll sit there for 2 hours staring at a blank screen. Or you'll code.

If after a couple of months your still staring at a blank screen every time, perhaps making a mud isn't for you
Ammit is offline   Reply With Quote