View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #13
MikeRozak

MikeRozak is on a distinguished road
Re: How not to be still-born

I agree, there's a need to attract players to (a) get feedback/motivation, and (b) attract co-authors. In turn, the co-authors (a) provide feedback/motivation, and (b) their new content attracts players. Positive feedback loop.

Except I don't quite agree with "motivating feedback from players"... How about any feedback? Most players (97%-99%) don't provide feedback, which (to me) is more morale-destroying than "It sux" Emails. At least then I can improve the game when I find out why "It sux". With no feedback, I have no clue.

Random (biased) comment that someone else made about starting with an existing codebase (good) with existing content (bad) - If you use pre-existing content then (a) you're less likely to attract players who have already seen it, and (b) it says something negative about your commitment/creativity to potential co-authors when you're starting out with no new content.

And tying this into another thread (I'm biased), if you add graphics, you're more likely to get more players, BUT you make it more difficult for yourself and your co-authors. (Most importantly, you probably scare off a lot of potential co-authors.)
MikeRozak is offline   Reply With Quote