View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
Luvan

Luvan is on a distinguished road
Re: Gender Roles, Roleplay, and Possible Glass Ceilings?

Lets also not forget the possibility that more males could be playing a game as opposed to females, that could explain differences in numbers. As you said though, no data to go on.

My personal experience (as a male, playing male characters) is that there seems to be no glass ceiling. I have played a mud where the admin was female, most of the administration was female and my character was in a guild led by a female.

On the same token I have played muds with little to no females in the administration, but I have never played an RP intensive game that did not have females in the player base (or at least men playing women) and had at least some of those females in positions of power.

The largest thing I have noticed though (as I said in the beginning) is that there is generally a large population of men to a relatively lower population of women playing most of the muds I have played.

Moreover most of the women I have RPed with that had the strong character type you are talking about were almost always guild leaders or guild officers or high ranking player government officals.
Luvan is offline   Reply With Quote