View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 06:58 PM   #220
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
I made my post in good faith, as an example of a phenomenon that I think exists in a very large number of muds, namely references to well known things in our contemporary world, be it books, movies or comic strips. I was hoping for a serious discussion. Next I know, I get compered to a drug dealer.

If this is the level the argumentation will sink to, I will withdraw from the discussion again.

Sure, I plead guilty to having some planets named Endor and Hoth in my Mud, and also to using the phrase ‘May the Force be with you’ as a common greeting phrase in our Future Dimension. Personally, I don’t believe that things like that constitute a copyright infringement. If they do, we might just as well close down 90% of all existing muds, since I bet you could find similar things in most of them, even though they are more likely to be references to Dungeons and Dragons than StarWars. And even though their owners may not be quite as candid about it as I have been, for fear of being flamed by people like you.

You apparently believe otherwise, but why would I care about what you think? You are not a lawyer, you are not the copyright holder, you are not the FBI, you are just stating your opinion - (and doing it in a very rude way, I might add). So what makes your opinion more worth than mine?

If you cannot see the difference between using a few names from a commonly known book or film in a mud, and ripping off an entire codebase, zone - or book - and presenting it as your own work... then either your intelligence must be very limited, or you may have some ulterior motive for just picking a fight.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote