View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
SnowTroll

SnowTroll will become famous soon enough
Re: Finding a Place to Call Home: Communities Tolerant & Accepting of Gay Gamers

The article, itself, is far less interesting than the issue as a whole. The article is actually kind of vague and generic. It doesn't outright say that either of the authors, or anybody, was specifically harassed or subjected to anything serious on a mud, for being gay. It makes it sound like the worst they faced was an uncomfortable environment, where ignorant teenagers tossed around gay slurs as general insults, not even directed at them or any individual gay person specifically, but they were possibly afraid that if these loud idiots knew they were gay, they'd be made fun of. And we all know that being made fun of on the internet is pretty hard to deal with.

I'm not exactly finding myself moved or passionate by the previously unknown fact that there are idiots on the internet who make other people uncomfortable. I'm not thinking to myself, "Holy crap! We need to do something as a community to be more tolerant and accepting!"

Jazuela's on target that this article was about 65% Threshold publicity, and 35% content. I like Threshold and like to see you going out of your way to creatively market the game to all circles, all over the internet, so I'm not complaining about the fact. But let's be honest. Gay gamers in 2013 is simply not an issue. I've played hundreds of muds. Seriously. Hundreds. Nothing remotely rising to the level of an issue regarding any homosexual player ever occurred in my sight.
SnowTroll is offline   Reply With Quote