View Single Post
Old 09-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Mabus

Mabus is on a distinguished road
Re: born-again techie looking to MUD

MOB - Mobile object, usually refers to move-able NPC's (non-player characters, the monsters), but can also refer to the player-object (avatar, the thing you control when playing, and even other players). Some codebases have separate code that defines NPC MOBs and PC (player character) MOBs. Some share code between the two.

Exit - A method of moving between rooms.

Portal - A non-standard exit. Where a standard exit would be a direction (N, S, E, W, etc.) a portal could be "path", "a path", "a hole" or any infinite number of things (in your case, and from my example, as a vehicle the movable portal could be named "an old jeep", or any other vehicle name).

Session - Each time you connect to the game server certain information is used by the server to receive input (commands and such) from the player and to send data (usually messages) back to the player's client.

The rest were defined within the text of the post.
There are staunch defenders of C that often swoop in to attack anyone that proposes any other language. Don't mind me, just attempting to avoid arguments I have seen in decades past.
Mabus is offline   Reply With Quote