View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Sergeytov

Sergeytov is on a distinguished road
Influence Over NPCs

One of the issues I've been pondering for quite a while (and working with on and off) is the idea of PCs and their ability to influence the NPC world about them. The primary problem I see right now is ultimately, "How can we determine how many NPC resources a PC can bring to bear on a situation?" - And in most cases, I'm not even talking about combat. For example, if a PC owns a large corporation, how much legal BS can they sling? Or simply, 'how much money does the corporation (whose activities take place largely in the background) make on a regular basis?'

I've pondered (and tried) multiple approaches so far.
- A 'faction point' system (think WoW, for those familiar) to gauge how much a group or entity likes a character. I cut this one short since the methods of earning faction points were automated, and characters were accumulating them at very high rates.
- A 'faction marker' system. - Kind of like a 'favors owed' type deal. Do a big job for a group, or donate/contribute cash and be owed favors later. This one is still in the 'worked on/pondering' stage, and hasn't been tested with the playerbase yet.
- A 'orgsheet' system. - This idea is based on the belief that entities, like PCs, have certain skills or abilities. PCs can also invest money into the entity to represent acquiring more NPC resources, but they have to pay monthly for them. This is currently in the system, however I've been paring it down recently due to minor implementation of the final idea.
- A series of subsystems. - For example, in the Orgsheet system, the org would have a stat called 'medical treatment.' In the subsystem version, there are detailed and specific ways to, as I joked with a player or two recently, Pimp Your Medbay. For example, characters can upgrade their medical facilities, reduce treatment time, or add NPCs to treat others. I've yet to test it on other systems, but this seems to be interesting to my players so far.

As far as data on the game itself goes: It's a sci-fi Roleplay focus MUSH with approximately 45 active characters, so the ultimate objective is to determine the NPC resource question to enhance roleplaying opportunities.
Sergeytov is offline   Reply With Quote