View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #19
DarkRider

DarkRider is on a distinguished road
Re: Running a mud on a windows machine.:)

This thread is depressing for Windows users.

I started a while back looking for information on running a Mud from Windows. I saw this thread and had to grab my prozac quick LOL. Since then I have been discussing this subject with other people on another forum and learned a lot about running a mud from windows.

Many Muds have binaries now that let you run the mud under Windows and most of the bugs of yesteryear have been worked out. Dead Souls is an example of such a Mud. There are also binaries in the form of LambdaCore's gaming versions like HellCore, RPGCore and HeroCore but these may not be as updated as say Dead Souls and you may have some problems. I think HellCore is still being maintained.

Wheel Mud is a Mud made for windows that won't have any of the the problems you might find porting a Unix mud to Windows.

CoffeeMud is based on java which will run under Windows as well as any other system that Java runs on.

No need to use Cygwin anymore. Cygwin can give problems and some muds don't recommend using it. Those Muds provide binaries instead or tell you to compile the Mud under your favorite version of Linux running in a virtual machine (VirtualBox or VMWare) through Windows. It's possible to even run the Mud through that virtual machine so you can host it.

And yes, you CAN host a Mud through Windows XP or 7 using it as a home server and it will be stable - at least for the muds that are still maintained and updated with binaries. Don't count on an old binary version to be as stable. Most binaries of Unix based Muds will have at least a few limitations. There are difference in the problems you might run into depending on the Mud core you use, so check around, ask in forums to see if the Mud you want to run has any limitations running from Windows that you can't live with. No need to think about a Host unless you have a lot of traffic and then, there are some good free hosts out there.

The point of this post is to give hope to the Windows users who want to run a Mud. To let them know there are lots of good options they can experiment with, without having to use a dedicated Linux machine or host on a Linux server - or have to fight with a mud that just won't work on Windows. We need to encourage more Windows users to run and work on Muds to help this community to grow and stay active.

Last edited by DarkRider : 07-19-2012 at 01:27 AM.
DarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote