View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
dayrinni

dayrinni is on a distinguished road
Re: Are MUDs still popular?

Well that is kind of a bummer. I enjoyed the atmosphere of "build it and they will come". I do not like to poach players from other games on any level. So it seems I'd be hard pressed to get players from the current community, especially, if there are MUDs out there that are feature rich. I suppose one could make the same argument of making a 3D MMORPG when WoW is in existence (I do realize it is not THAT simple but hopefully you get my point).

I am fairly confident I can get something out within 6 months. I have much of the code base already coded up and the current version is playable. I want to redo the class/race system and then make the content. So...I don't know.

That is a long time and a lot of work. Hopefully for the both of you, it pays off!

My experience went a little differently...
I was in high school in the late 90's and wanted to make a MUD but did not know how to code. So I spent several years trying to create a few MUD but not as the coder. This failed, like really failed haha. Then I went to college around 2001 and I started to teach myself C and I spent a few years from 2002 to 2004-2005ish working on the total conversion. It was slow going because I was in the process of learning how to program and trying to modify a huge code base took time. We had a few open betas, and attracted a small group of people (10-15). The first open beta was pretty good, found some things that needed to be changed, and modified. Then we re-opened in a new open beta in Springish of 2005. It was very successful compared to the previous open beta. But at this point, maintaining the game and implementing the changes we wanted to go forward with was very time consuming and tedious in fastrom. Then real life pretty much smacked me in the head and we had to shut down that November (2005).

Thanks, I'll check these out.
dayrinni is offline   Reply With Quote