Thread: Top 20 muds
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 10:19 PM   #112
The_Disciple

The_Disciple is on a distinguished road
Here's the logical inconsistency I see:

In other threads, I've seen the_logos make the case that Achaea et. al having the money=advancement option as well as the time=advancement option is pure benefit.  It allows for a more diverse playerbase because it can attract both people with lots of time and people who have jobs and less time.

That makes a certain amount of sense to me, actually.  If I were someone with a full-time job who wanted to MUD and be competitive on 10 hours a week, I think I would find that kind of option pretty attractive.

It just doesn't make sense to me that, if you honestly believe the pay-for-perks paradigm is not simply a way to generate income but a good thing in and of itself, you wouldn't want to make it very clear that you are that way.

It's like you're saying pay-for-perks is a great thing, but the way you're being uber-defensive and challenging people to talk to the FTC if they don't like the way you do things, it sure seems like you're ashamed of it.  Regardless of how stupid you at times seem to think some of the other posters are, you have to realize that acting as though from shame (I know, you don't see it that way.  I believe an impartial observer would.) is like blood in the water to sharks.  It only inspires more and more poster frenzy.

By all accounts, you've built a good and unique MUD.  I say, be proud of what it is.  Be proud of all the great things about it -- but being a free MUD in the same sense others are isn't one of those things.  Why pretend to be something you're not when you can shine on your own merits?
The_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote