View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 11:49 PM   #9
Rjakegel

Rjakegel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Rjakegel
Ok...
my building experience is quite limited. In fact, I have built only one area which has never been put in a mud because I don't have the coding know-how needed to complete the area. So i would like to offer some input on the topic from the view point of a player.
I have been mudding for slightly over a year now, and have discovered FEW secrets on the MUD I play, most of which have been discovered on accident by pure chance. When I explore high level areas, I read every description of every room and mob, trying to see if there might be a cool secret. Never find 'em. Since i am quite thorough, I have a feeling that these areas were designed to find secrets by chance. Personally, I despise those types of secrets in any area that has a theme.
i.e. We are in evil lord's base, looking for secrets. the only secrets are hidden exits which can only be found by luck.
BORING! Wouldn't it be so much cooler if you could follow clues from room descriptions that would lead you to find this awesome secret that you actually worked at finding! On the other hand, a wilderness area might hold a secret that does not have any clues leading to it, maybe just one room description in the room which leads to the secret area. make any sense?
I would also like to broaden the topic of this thread and state that I absolutely HATE mobprogs that are impossible to figure out. There is nothing more frustrating to me than to find a unique, mysterious mob that you just KNOW is holding a secret, and end up searching for hours to find the keyword for the trigger, but to no avail.
I hope this will help you in your future projects, Chapel, though I have a feeling you won't be building on the MUD I play again.

funny how ya like people more after they're gone, huh

~waffle~
Rjakegel is offline   Reply With Quote